Monday, January 17, 2011

Halo-halo at Razon's of Guagua





It’s Friday and it’s supposed to be my favorite day, but well,’ just not lucky today, I guess. This current experiment is driving me crazy; it’s been dragging me in the kitchen for days. The heat and smoke is really making me feel so drained out. I left the office feeling down and not in the mood to go somewhere. Later on, I was about to take the next train when I craved for something really cold, not too sweet, uhmm… yes something creamy will make me smile a bit. I made my way to Gateway Mall (Araneta Center) Cubao in Quezon City, 3rd level – Food Express (I was here last week). I remember one of my former officemates introduced this simple and delicious treat to me. It’s Halo-halo at Razon’s of Guagua (okay, there are lots of Halo-halo but with different versions).

Halo-halo (from Tagalog word halò, "mix") is a popular Filipino dessert that is a mixture of shaved ice and evaporated milk to which are added various boiled sweet beans and fruits, and served in a tall glass or bowl.Ingredients include boiled kidney beans, garbanzos, sugar palm fruit (kaong), coconut sport (macapuno), and plantains caramelized in sugar, jackfruit (langkâ), gulaman, tapioca or sago, nata de coco, sweet potato (kamote), pounded crushed young rice (pinipig). In terms of arrangement, most of the ingredients (fruits, beans, and other sweets) are first placed inside the tall glass, followed by the shaved ice. This is then sprinkled with sugar, and topped with either (or a combination of) leche flan, ube halaya, or ice cream. Evaporated milk is poured into the mixture upon serving. http://enwikipedia.org/

What makes Razon’s Halo-halo really good is it is served with finely crushed ice, you can’t enjoy Halo-halo when you have to deal with chips of ice. It has simple ingredients: sun-ripened saging na saba, macapuno and leche flan with dayap rind all mixed in a sweet creamy goodness. 

I ejoyed my glass of Halo-halo…. So yummy and a great cure to a stressful day. Goodbye for now to hot, busy kitchens and loads of work. I must say, this made me smile…


No comments: